Tuesday 18 February 2014

Because the internet, pt 2


It's no secret that I chose to spend the last weekend binge watching the newest House of Cards season, and I finished successfully on Sunday night not really knowing what to think or feel. Basically, I loved it, and I also hated it, because it is really disgusting, but disgustingly good too. It also broke my heart numerous times, but no big deal. I even got a Netflix account, which I should probably delete before my free trial runs out, but it is also very tempting to keep it considering all the fun that could be had. I see what you did there, Netflix. This is why I should never give in to the temptation of free Graze box trial subscriptions either, or, alternatively, this is why I can't have nice but only temporarily free things.

I don't want to spoil season two for anyone though, because everyone should watch it and hate to love it just like me and feel all dirty and morally corrupted because you are STILL looking Frank Underwood straight in the eye when he's talking into the camera. So instead, I will once again link you to some of the internet content I've stumbled upon - some of it related to House of Cards, some of it just very interesting really. Amanda Marcotte argues that HoC has gone "full feminist" in its new season, while Marin Cogan discussed "the psycho-sexual ordeal of reporting in Washington" as a political reporter for GQ a year ago (it's still a pretty good read today).


I'm not entirely sure how I feel about ‘Straight Talk’ the Princeton Mom Should Give to Young Men but if you take it as what it is (a response to dubious Valentine's Day Straight Talk for college girls), it's a pretty entertaining reality check. Also, for more higher education chat, this is a surprisingly useful list of 31 Things I’d Have Told Myself Before College. Most of these lists are silly sentimentally regretful musings (think Thought Catalog), but Medium does original quality content pretty well.

Speaking of Medium, I love reading about fitness online (this is no secret either), so I've enjoyed these little more or less uncomfortable truths (not that uncomfortable, but who can resist motivational posts), and I've been reading about circuit training too which I think might be my perfect workout. Getting really sweaty, but without the treadmill agony and crippling self-doubt, and the opportunity to include some serious jump rope fun and look like an idiot - what's there not to love? I also might be slightly enamoured with the guy running Nerdfitness.com. I'd go Paleo for you anytime, Steve Kamb, even though I love cheese so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment